Has it really been January since we’ve blogged?!? FIRE THE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR!!!
Well, it hasn’t been from lack of activity.
What have we been up to? Well…
1) We held the Thumbs Up Ball in February to a PACKED house! We sold out tickets and raised $1,000 more this year than last year which is 2 more families helped. Triple Scoop Band had everyone boogying, Radio Disney kept things hopping during the breaks, and a live Cinderella and Prince Charming provided by Charming Characters had the kids starry-eyed; even the boys! Pepicelli’s Pizza and Cakes by Kelly provided food and our Board and volunteers kept everything running smoothly. Next year we might have to find a bigger venue!
2) The Deep Run High School Marathon Dance invited CJSTUF to participate in the pep rally and then the closing ceremonies of their absolutely amazing event which raised $243,000 this year and has raised over $1.1 million in the 7 years of this event (no typos there). Roger was allowed to sing at the closing ceremonies and, bum knee and all, introduced the 900+ participants and the hundreds of supporting family/friends to “Pizza And Ice Cream.” It seems to have had a lot of impact. A twitter hashtag was even born: #pizzaandicecream. We find out exactly how much was allotted to CJSTUF at the official check presentation on Wednesday, May 22.
3) We changed our Mission Statement! (GASP!!!) No biggie, really. We just streamlined it to fit better with what we’re actually doing. The mission is now, “to provide assistance to families of children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.”
4) The TBL Networks Virtual Golf Tournament garnered enough donations to help 8 families (that’s $4,000)! Thanks folks!
5) Rachel participated on a “Memoirs Of Cancer” panel at the VA Festival Of The Book with two other authors speaking about cancer, grief, and what happens “after.” We made some wonderful contacts and had a great time.
6) The Business Of The Month program continues and this month, our BOTM is Gather And Glaze in Mechanicsville. They are donating 5% of all May’s sales to CJSTUF and on Saturday, May 18th, they will donate 10% of any butterfly-themed craft. Next month (June), the “Bald Chicks Rock!” shirt makes its reappearance. Keep your eyes peeled!
7) Lunch Bunch went over the 1,000 fed mark at the beginning of May. Last year we served 1177 meals. Another wonderful example of an idea that seems to be working! Thanks to Connor’s Heroes Foundation for helping to get it off the ground.
8) Butterfly Socials are being scheduled now! They can be anything from simple crafts to poker nights to what Roger is doing, inviting people with chainsaws to the house to gut up a pine tree that needs to come down on Saturday, June 1st. If you’d like to hold a Butterfly Social, please sign up here.
9) The next big thing is CJ The DJ’s Bluegrass (Mostly) Boogaloo on Saturday, July 20 at Ashland Coffee and Tea. Our headliner will be Mark Newton and Steve Thomas, fresh off of releasing their new CD, “Reborn.” We’ve also just confirmed Randy Waller and many fantastic local acts (not all of the bluegrass!) who will begin playing at about noon. Tickets will be $20 and only 200 will be sold so when they go on sale, snap ‘em up!
Our volunteer database is currently under construction. If you’d like to be added,please contact us directly.
So that’s what’s up. Please make a note of it.